Tech Term: Virtualization, Defined
Virtualization is a topic that a lot of people might hear about frequently, but not necessarily understand. It has a lot of details to keep in mind, but the concepts can be remembered easier by simplifying these details. We’ll take a closer look at some of the finer details of virtualization and what it means for your business’ infrastructure.
Virtualization is the replication of a physical resource on your infrastructure (like a server, desktop, operating system, or storage solution) and its placement into a cloud-based infrastructure where it can be deployed in a scalable manner. By using a type of technology called a hypervisor software, a physical resource called the host can be divided into virtual machines called guests.
The guests draw on the resources provided by the host as they’re required, which gives them more functionality than any single piece of hardware can offer. Virtualization is the best way to get the most out of your technology, and it can even decrease the capital you spend on your business in the long run.
The Types of Virtualization
There are many different types of virtualization, and all of them have their own uses in a business setting:
- Data virtualization: This type of virtualization allows your business to collect information and place it in one location where it can be dispersed.
- Operating system virtualization: You can host multiple operating systems on a server.
- Desktop virtualization: You can replicate desktops to open them as needed.
- Server virtualization: One server can act as multiple servers through the use of virtualization.
- Network virtualization: You can use virtualization to transform one network into multiple isolated networks.
Does your business need to better understand and implement virtualization? iTernal Networks can help. To learn more, reach out to us at (702) 802-2800.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready... here are 2 ways I can help you maximize productivity and technological satisfaction, as well as reduce IT costs for your small to medium business:
Grab a free copy of our ebook
It’s the roadmap to combating cybercrime on an SMB budget. Get your ebook here https://www.iternalnetworks.com/cybercrime-ebook
Schedule a complimentary site survey
We will assess your current state of technology, as well as provide a detailed report on any insufficiency or costs that can be eliminated. Schedule your site survey here https://calendly.com/iternalnetworks